The town was a quiet trading center for many years until the coming of the railroad in 1860. As the junction of two important Mississippi railroads, the city grew in importance as a rail center in the late 19th century. In 1870, Grenada County was formed and Grenada was named the county seat. A building boom from 1880 to 1920 took place during these years and most of the historic resources remaining in Grenada are commercial buildings and residences reflecting this period in the town’s history. After 1920 development stowed until new industries moved into the city in the late 1930s. Most construction after 1940 has taken place in areas to the west and south of the original city boundaries.